Your date shouldn’t be just eating, drinking coffee, creative dating projects will give people a good impression.
1. Rent an exotic car and go for a long ride in the mountains or countryside. Convertibles are always popular. Perhaps you can rent a James Bond type vehicle, minus the gadgets, of course.
2. Invite your date to midnight bowling. Some bowling centers call it cosmic bowling.
3. Take an unusual class together. The more unusual the better. Creative dating ideas may include tango lessons, square dancing, beekeeping, origami, or pottery-making.
4. Attend a sporting event and root for the referee. Referees don’t get enough respect. After the game be sure to get their autograph.
5. Crash a party. Many downtown hotels and convention centers have parties or events on weekends. They’ll be a sign with a list of events and their ballroom locations in the lobby. Don’t ask the concierge which ballroom has the best party. It’s usually frowned upon.
6. Play miniature golf. Try something different and play backwards, starting at the last hole and working your way to the beginning.
7. Visit a local alpaca farm or ranch. They’re cute and friendly, and this is one of the most unusual ideas for a fun date.
8. Enjoy a meal at a theme restaurant. Last year my wife and I were on vacation and found an authentic medieval restaurant. Most cities have dinner theatres or murder mystery dinner theatres or some type of theme restaurant.
9. Take a midnight hot air balloon ride, and be sure to dress warmly. Most of the balloon companies offer complimentary champagne.
10. Attend an auction. Go early, to check the items in advance. Auctions are fun, and you’ll never know what you’ll find. Some towns have local auctions, where items sell for as cheap as 25 cents, and big cities may have gallery auctions of fine art. I’ve seen button auctions, folk art auctions, antique bottle auctions, museum auctions, in addition to the standard antique auctions.
11. Play laser tag at a local amusement facility. You’ll get to see how competitive your date can be. Many cities have laser tag franchises you can visit.
12. Attend a casino fun party. These parties may be local charity events or company-sponsored. Most of these parties last for up to three hours, and the food is usually included with admission.
13. Search for buried treasure. Many historical societies will be able to tell you about local lost treasure tales. Rent or borrow a metal detector and bring a small spade to dig up your booty. You might also visit a local beach or park. Be sure to get permission wherever you dig. Watch the power lines! You’ll receive high marks as one of the best ideas for a fun date.
14. Go to the beach and build a sand castle together. Maybe the Taj Mahal?
15. Explore a cave together. Search for a local speleological association to identify to best caves in the area. A few years ago my girlfriend (now wife) took me on a day trip to the Jenolan Caves in Australia while on vacation. It was incredible! This is one of the most creative dating ideas I’ve enjoyed.
16. Volunteer at a local food bank and serve meals. You might even get a free dinner out of the deal, not to mention brownie points for having a good heart.
17. Many local airports offer rides in vintage biplanes. Typically the ride lasts for 10 or 15 minutes. Bring your camera.
18. Go to a kite store, buy kites and fly them in a local park or beach.
Remember, some ideas for a fun date require planning, or even worse, reservations. Others may happen on the spur of the moment. The more creative you are, the more fun you’ll have.